NCC performs these activities in Natural Gas sector:
- Supervises the activity performed by the undertakings;
- Approves the Methodologies for Setting State Regulated Prices;
- Sets the prices and the prices caps;
- Exercises control over the application of the state-regulated prices and tariffs;
- Exercises control over the procedures of unbundling the vertically integrated undertakings;
- Issues the activity permits and/or licenses to the undertakings;
- Performs the researches of the wholesale and retail markets;
- Investigates the complaints and disputes of the energy undertakings and customers;
- Performs other functions prescribed by the laws and other legal acts.
Since 2013 new functions have been assigned to the NCC – to approve the Methodology for Setting the Prices of the Liquefied Petroleum Gas Supplied in a Centralized Way and to regulate the prices. This will enable to ensure fair prices of the liquefied petroleum gas for consumers.
41 licenses have been issued in the natural gas sector where the NCC performs the regulation of 9 economic entities. The Natural Gas Exchange has been functioning since 23 November 2011. On 9 November 2012 the NCC issued the license of the Natural Gas Market Operator to UAB GET Baltic. In 2016, 1 license was issued for the supply of natural gas activity. 1 license for the natural gas distribution and 2 licenses for the supply of natural gas activity were repealed. At the end of 2016, one market participant was active in transmission activity, 5 – in distribution, 1 – in liquefaction, 13 supply market participants sold gas at the Natural Gas Exchange and/or under bilateral agreements, and 1 supply market participant sold gas only in the Natural Gas Exchange. One market participant acted as market operator. 4 market participants sell liquefied oil gas.
More information about Natural Gas sector can be found in Lithuanian here.